Search This Blog

Monday, March 23, 2020

Surrendering and Trusting in the Sovereignty of God


Yours, O LORD, is the greatness, the power, the glory, the victory, and the majesty. Everything in the heavens and on earth is yours, O LORD, and this is your kingdom. We adore you as the one who is over all things. O our God, we thank you and praise your glorious name! 1 Chronicles 29:11-13 NLT

Several years ago I started taking time to focus, worship and thank the Lord for his sovereignty. Merriam-Webster defines sovereignty as having supreme power, supreme excellence and controlling influence. I remind myself the Lord has supreme power, supreme excellence and controlling influence. Supreme means above all others.

The complexity and uncertainty of life often causes serious stress to the soul. Complexity and uncertainty have become part of everyday life. They are unavoidable. Those that try to control complexity and uncertainty find themselves even more stressed by attempting to live with the illusion of control.

I have found that surrender to the sovereignty of the Lord is the healthiest position I can take. Nothing complex for me or for humanity confounds the Lord. Nothing uncertain for me or humanity confuses or takes the Lord by surprise.

Like David’s words above say, “Everything in the heavens and on earth is yours … the one who is over all things.”

Things take place in life and on this planet I don’t like. I can get all worked up over those things and get angry at God and others, but my response doesn’t change reality. There is only one Sovereign.. I trust Him with the complexities and uncertainties of life.

I invite you to do the same. Surrendering and trusting in the sovereignty of God is the way to peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment