Search This Blog

Friday, May 25, 2012

‘Wannabe’ does not make it so

Learning and doing can be disconnected. Learning is often disconnected from life and living life.

For instance, I can read all kinds of books, attend lectures, and watch video clips about building, but until I actually start building I’m not a builder. And I’m not really a builder until I’ve built a few things.

I can read and attend lectures and watch videos about running, golf, fishing, sewing, pottery, etc, etc and never be a runner, golfer, fisherman, seamstress or potter. I am simply a wannabe. A wannabe becomes the real deal when they start putting miles on their shoes, spending hours fishing, and sewing all sorts of items. It is not the ‘wannabe’ that makes it so. It is the doing. It is in putting ‘rubber to the road.’

This is true in the Christian life. Reading about Jesus and the Christian life, attending church services, watching videos, and listening to teachings may give information and knowledge, but if that person never puts ‘rubber to the road,’ they are a wannabe Jesus follower and not a Jesus follower.

Jesus told the Apostles to make disciples and to “…teach them to obey [DO] everything I’ve commanded you.”

Jesus half-brother, James, said it this way: “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.” (James 1:22 NIV)

People can learn about something and never put it into practice and never become what they ‘wannabe.’ On the other hand, a person who does it - who puts ‘rubber to the road’ - learns it. They can’t help it. Learning happens in the doing. A person can read all about running and never become a runner, but a person who runs learns all about running and is a runner.

A person who obeys Jesus is a Jesus follower and learns more about being a Jesus follower than the person who reads, watches, and listens to teachings about being a Jesus follower but doesn’t obey.

This is also true in marriage and parenting. I can read all kinds of books, attend weekend seminars and sign-up for coaching, but unless I put into practice what I learn, I am a ‘wannabe’ and not the real deal. It is when I obey Jesus and love my wife as Jesus loves the church that I become a godly husband. When I put ‘rubber to the road’ and serve my wife and kids, I become what a husband and father is supposed to become.

‘Wannabe’ does not make it so – doing makes it so.

No comments:

Post a Comment