Search This Blog

Friday, February 15, 2013

Live and Love and Lead

I’ve been thinking about what my roles in life are. In some ways I have some very specific roles. I am a husband to only one woman. I am a father to only 5 kids. I am a grandfather to 2 ½ grandchildren. (Number 3 will be here in May!) I pastor only one church in one community. I have some specific roles in life.

I have some other more general roles. I’m part of a group of men and women who meet to ride bikes together. I’m a homeowner, a taxpayer, a runner, a Gonzaga Basketball fan. I’m one of six sons to my parents. I’m one of nine children to my parents. I am one of a number of sons-in-law. I have some general roles in life.

I am also a follower of Jesus. In some ways this role is very general. I’m just one of countless millions of followers on the planet today and countless billions down through history. I’m just like some of you. I’m just an everyday, bread and butter follower of Jesus. There really aren’t a lot of ‘special role’ followers of Jesus. In 2000 years of history there have only been about 260 popes. On any given day there is only one guy referred to as the Pope. Most of us are just everyday followers of Jesus.

My role as a follower of Jesus does have a specific aspect to it though. I’m a follower of Jesus in 2013. I’m a follower of Jesus in the USA. I’m a follower of Jesus on Whidbey Island. I’m a follower of Jesus on South Whidbey which is different then North Whidbey. I’m a follower of Jesus that has the honor of serving a local group of people and an awesome community. This role carries with it some unique challenges and opportunities.

The mission of every follower of Jesus is to live in such a way that the people in their specific sphere of life will get a glimpse of what Jesus is like. This is done by how they live and how they serve. For me, the challenges and opportunities are found in living in such a way that people in 2013, in USA, on the South End of Whidbey Island, will see some of what Jesus is like by how I live and serve. I want people to see Jesus in my life. I want to help people see who Jesus is and what Jesus was like. My specific role is to live and to lead and to love and to teach in such a way that people will see Jesus.

What is your specific role as a follower of Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment