Search This Blog

Monday, June 10, 2013

God will always be faithful because He is faithful!

It is not uncommon for me to talk to people who comment in one way or another about the inconsistency in their faith journey. I guess that is to be expected since I am a pastor. People make comments about their inconsistency because they are afraid that their inconsistency will impact whether God will still 'come through for them' in some area of need. The thought is 'I've not been very consistent, so I'm not sure that God will be consistent' or 'Since I've been unfaithful, God will probably also be unfaithful.'

2000 years ago, the Apostle Paul wrote to the pastor of the church in the city of Ephesus about that same fear.

The saying is trustworthy, for:
If we have died with him, we will also live with him;
if we endure, we will also reign with him;
if we deny him, he also will deny us;
if we are faithless, he remains faithful—for he cannot deny himself.

Notice that last line ... If we are faithless, he remains faithful--for he cannot deny himself.

God is faithful, therefore He can't be anything but faithful. When we think that He is not being faithful, it is because we don't understand the situation in the same way that He understands it.

As a parent, I don't base my decision to be faithful or consistent on my kids faithfulness. I'm not going to leave them at school at the end of the day just because they didn't finish cleaning their room. I'm not going to make them miss dinner because they didn't eat their dinner the night before. I'm not going to fail to take them to the doctor if needed because they didn't wear their coat. As a parent, those actions would be unnatural.

There may be times when, as a parent, I say 'no' to them for something they want or for something they want me to do for them. My response of 'no' may even be hinged on their behavior or misbehavior, but this would only be in the area of their wants not in the area of needs.

God may say ‘no’ to us in the area of wants, but He doesn't say ‘no’ in the area of needs. This doesn't make Him unfaithful. This reveals His wisdom.

Jesus walked on water, raised dead people, changed water into wine, calmed the storm, healed the blind and paralyzed, yet He didn't stop bad from happening, even when the bad to be stopped was against Him. He could have stopped Judas from betraying Him. He could have stopped Pilate from sentencing Him to death. He could have 'crucified' the soldiers who crucified Him.

His failure to stop 'bad' didn't make Him unfaithful. His failure to stop bad that was happening doesn't diminish the reality of His power or love. Instead, it reveals there are things He knows that we don't know. He can and does stop 'bad', but He does it when it is best.

When God acts or doesn't act, it is because He 'knows' and not because He is capriciously choosing to be faithful or not.

God will always be faithful because He is faithful!

No comments:

Post a Comment