Search This Blog

Monday, November 23, 2020

God, What are You Doing?

Early in 2020, I wondered what God is doing. Churches across the world ceased for a time to meet in person. Government measures to contain COVID-19, hamstrung world economies. Travel and tourism ground to a halt. The last time a pandemic impacted the world in this way was 100 years ago. I’m pondering a couple of verses while asking: God, what are you doing? What do You want the outcome to look like? In what ways are you wanting to change me and change the church I lead? In the middle of world turmoil, the prophet Habakkuk asked God what He was doing. God responded, “Look around at the nations; look and be amazed! For I am doing something in your own day, something you wouldn’t believe even if someone told you about it.” (Habakkuk 1:5 NLT) What God spoke to Habakkuk is true for me, I “wouldn’t believe even if someone told [me] about it.” God is doing something so big and so grand that it is global. I heard from people in SE Asia, Amsterdam, Nigeria, Uganda, Germany and Liberia this week. The story is the same. Virus, people sick, government restrictions and economic hardship. It is easy to judge what is happening in Washington State, but people are suffering and government restrictions are changing life around the world. God spoke to the Jewish people who were also experiencing turmoil. “Do not forget this! Keep it in mind! Remember this, … Remember the things I have done in the past. For I alone am God! I am God, and there is none like me. ... Everything I plan will come to pass, for I do whatever I wish.” (Isaiah 46:8-10 NLT) I take comfort and assurance from God’s voice through Isaiah when He says: “For I alone am God, and there is none like me. … Everything I plan will come to pass, for I do whatever I wish.” I for one am practicing surrender every day. Most of life is out of my control, but I trust the one who alone is God and everything He plans will come to pass. “I trust, help me when my trust wavers.” AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment