Search This Blog

Monday, January 18, 2021

The Otherness of God

In my personal Bible time, I’ve been reading through the book of Job. Job’s story has been an example and an encouragement throughout the centuries for millions. There are some tough events in the book of Job. Losing loved ones to calamity, losing life, property and health rock Job to the core. If you’ve never read slowly through the account of Jobs life, do so as soon as you can. Through the events and the subsequent wrestling with others and God, he gained a new understanding of the incomparable nature of God. There are no comparisons that clarify the otherness of God. Some have suggested that the otherness of God is like the difference between a person and an ant. Though a brilliant contrast, it falls infinitely short of the difference between God and people. Theologians use the word “transcendence” to describe God’s otherness. Transcendence describes the truth that God is not restrained by time, space, or physical laws. God is separate from His creation. He is not dependent on creation. God’s transcendence doesn’t mean that He is removed from creation. Theologians use the word “immanence” to describe God’s involvement in the lives of people. Though God is completely “other.” He is intimately involved in every aspect of His creation. He does not sleep, he knows the hairs on every one of the 7.5 billion people on the planet and He knows when a sparrow falls from the sky. As Job wrestled with the hardships of life and attempted to understand God’s actions, some of what he learned left him shaking. Job told a friend attempting to console him, “The Almighty terrifies me.” (Job 23:16 NCV) To a friend attempting to console him, he said, “I know that my Defender lives, and in the end I will stand upon the earth. … I will see him myself; I will see him with my very own eyes. How my heart wants that to happen.” (Job 19:25-27 NCV) Job was describing the tension of the “transcendence” and the “immanence” of God. He is completely “other” yet personally involved in our lives. God “transcendence” and His “immanence,” His otherness and personal involvement in His creation enables me to trust Him completely. As you read the Scripture in 2021, look for God’s otherness and His intimacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment