Search This Blog

Monday, May 10, 2021

Living for Eternity

Over the years, I have officiated dozens of graveside services. Many of the services have been for people I knew or had a relationship with. Some have also asked me to officiate at services for people from the community, and unless I have a conflicting engagement, I always agree to minister to the family. At almost every service, I spend a few minutes giving my thoughts about “What do I do now?” Memorials of any sort are difficult. There is a finality to a person’s life when their remains are placed in the ground and people say their “goodbyes.” I want people to think about what they should do as they walk away. After the most recent graveside service I officiated, I had the thought; Why not talk about these “What do I do now?” lessons more often? So here goes. I’m going to write about these “What do I do now?” over the next few weeks. THOUGHT NUMBER ONE Remember that death is the destiny of every person – we will ALL face death. Benjamin Franklin famously said, “Nothing is certain except death and taxes.”. The death rate for people is 100%. Death is certain and unavoidable. Researchers are working intensely to extend our life expectancy, but they recognize death is inevitable. The author of the letter Hebrews wrote, “Everyone must die once and then be judged.” Hebrews 9:27 (NCV) Solomon wrote, “He has also set eternity in their [people’s] hearts.” Ecclesiastes 3:11 (NASB) Eternity is written into the human psyche. The first written accounts of belief in afterlife are 4,000-year-old texts from Egypt. Across cultures and centuries, people of all ages have a powerful sense that death is a transition, not an end. Existence doesn’t end with death. You will die. Are you prepared for what follows death? Jesus instructed Nicodemus, when he asked about eternity, “God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son so that whoever believes in him may not be lost, but have eternal life.” John 3:16 (NCV) Turn control of your life over to Jesus. His death forgives your past, his life ensures your future. Jesus is “the Way, the Truth and the Life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment