Search This Blog

Monday, July 10, 2023

Persistence

Persistence I can think of many examples of persistence. The child repeating the question “Why?” over and over. The teenager wanting the time of a curfew changed. Jim Russell’s dog Rowdy wanting someone to throw the frisbee for him to chase and catch. God’s persistence might not be a character trait that you’ve thought about, but God is persistent. I often think of God as being ruthlessly persistent. He never ceases in His quest for a relationship with His creation.I described his persistence as “jealousy.” Jesus’ brother James described God’s jealousy in his letter to the early believers. “Do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, ‘He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us’”? James 4:5 (ESV) The New Century Version translates James’ word “Do you think the Scripture means nothing that says, ‘The Spirit that God made to live in us wants us for himself alone’”? James 4:5 (NCV) God is aggressively determined to gain people’s attention and devotion. The disciples were told by Jesus to prioritize the Kingdom of God, and in return, He would fulfil their needs. When people seek everything they need, they do not get what they need. When they center their life on God, they get what they need. God’s ruthless persistence is not self serving or pathological. He is ruthlessly persistence is for the well-being of His creation. I am thankful for God’s ruthless persistence. Like anyone else, I’d be in a ditch somewhere if God wasn’t ruthless and persistent towards me. Jesus describes His Father’s persistence, saying, “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me, for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. No one can snatch them from the Father’s hand.” John 10:27-29 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment