Search This Blog

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Get a hold of yourself!

A few weeks ago I commented about how character has been taking a bashing of late. Every day the news gets more bizarre as the stories of well known people’s behavior is unraveled for the world to see.

The one area of character that is taking the hardest bashing is self-control. It is apparent that there is a serious lack of self-control throughout the corners of the globe. Self-control is an interesting idea. The word that is used in the original language actually means ‘to grip or to take hold of.’ The idea is ‘to grip self or take hold of self.’ We use a phrase with those words. We say to someone who is out of control: Get a hold of yourself!

Does ‘self’ control what you do or do you control ‘self’? Self-control is about controlling self. When we don’t control self – we are rightly accused of being ‘selfish.’ Selfishness is when ‘me’ is in control. Everything is me, me, me!

Self-control is when self is being controlled. Jesus said that His followers needed to ‘die daily.’ Die to what? Die to self. Die to me. The only thing that will put an end to selfishness or me-ishness is death. Dead people can’t demand that their wants get met.

Philosopher, writer and teacher Aristotle once said, “I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is the victory over self.”

Fortunately ‘self-control’ is not something I have to create or pull out of a hat. Self-control is a character strength and trait that the Holy Spirit wants to create in every life. Paul wrote to the church in Galatia saying: The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, … and self-control.

The Holy Spirit wants to, is waiting to, and will, when given access, create the fruit of self-control in a person’s life.

Your assignment – Pray every day: Holy Spirit create the fruit of self-control in my life. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment