Search This Blog

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Happy Father’s Day!

When I pray for fathers, families and children in the church and community, I regularly pray the last verse from the book of Malachi. Malachi was the last prophet to speak in the years before Jesus came to earth. A prophet is someone who speaks on God’s behalf. The words of Malachi were the last words that the children of Israel would hear for 400 years. So the last words of the last prophet are significant. The last words of the last prophet mean something today!

His preaching will turn the hearts of fathers to their children, and the hearts of children to their fathers. Otherwise I will come and strike the land with a curse." (Malachi 4:6 NLT)

Turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of children to their fathers. That is God’s desire for Father’s Day. Father’s Day is not just about honoring fathers. Father’s Day is about fathers being reminded of the call to serve and lead their children and families. Father’s Day is about emphasizing to children how important fathers are.

NASCAR champion Jeff Gordon describes being a father like this: “I had no idea of the real true purpose of everything I do until I became a father.” Driven by Ambition

Former Mariners star Alex Rodriguez said it this way: “Dad left us when I was 9. What did I know back then? I thought he was coming back. I thought he had gone to the store or something. But he never came back… It still hurts.” Would Rodriguez have made different choices than some of the poor ones he’s made if Dad had never left?

The importance of Dads is found in the words of the poem, “The Little Chap Who Follows Me.” Google it!

A careful man I ought to be; A little fellow follows me; I do not dare to go astray; For fear he'll go the self-same way.

I cannot once escape his eyes; Whatever he sees me do he tries~ Like me, he says, he's going to be; The little chap who follows me.

Happy Father’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment