Search This Blog

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Be Quick to Listen

Even though we’ve each been given two ears and one mouth it is much harder to listen than it should be. 2000 years ago James wrote to the Jewish followers of Jesus regarding listening. He wrote:

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. (James 1:19 NLT)

Quick to listen … slow to speak.??? That would be different.

Outside of the Scriptures there is a tremendous amount that has been written about listening. One of the great quotes is from Albert Einstein.

If A equals success, then the formula is A equals X plus Y and Z, with X being work, Y play, and Z keeping your mouth shut. Albert Einstein

If you don’t get it here it is written out: A=Success
X+Y+Z=A

Work+Play+Keeping your mouth shut = Success

These words are powerful when it comes to everyday life but how much more when the practice of listening is applied to prayer and my spiritual life.

Here are the questions that I think of about my prayer times when I read about and think about listening. Am I quick to listen, slow to speak when it comes to prayer?
Do I listen twice as much as I talk?
Is my prayer a practice of asking and doing all of the talking or do I take time to quiet my soul and listen to what the Holy Spirit might be saying to me?

Tuning in to God, which we’ve been talking about, is in truth about listening … listening hard … listening intently.

Be quick to listen … slow to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment