Search This Blog

Monday, March 8, 2021

Wisdom

Years ago, a family in the church gave me a needlework wall-hanging with the following Abraham Lincoln quote embroidered on it: “I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for that day.” Abraham Lincoln In recent months, I have found myself overwhelmed by the sentiment that Lincoln expressed. I find myself in dire need of wisdom. My own thinking is insufficient to respond to life’s challenges. The world is shifting so fast, life is approaching, what feels like “warp speed.” Ideas, philosophies, truth, error, conflict, confusion, regulations, mandates and challenges are flying in all directions and in no particular order. Things come so fast; I feel like I’m swatting at a swarm of flies! People have regularly referred to “new” circumstances and challenges as “unprecedented.” We are living in another one of those times when almost everything about life is different. Jesus told his disciples, “I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. So be as wise as snakes and as harmless as doves.” (Matthew 10:16 NIrV) Followers of Jesus have always needed wisdom. I desperately need wisdom to respond and not react. I need wisdom to respond or not, depending on the situation. As a follower of Jesus, I am to respond the way Jesus would. I need wisdom to know when to speak, when to listen, when to change and when to stand firm. It will take every bit of wisdom that God provides for His followers to “love God with all their heart, soul, mind and strength” and to “love your neighbors.” “If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone.” James 1:5-6 (NLT) If you are like me, the request for wisdom is constant. I’m leaning on the promise of God that He will provide it.

No comments:

Post a Comment