Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Doing Life In My Own Strength

I have been reading through the Bible this year from the New Century Version (NCV). King Jehoshaphat appointed Levites, priests, and leaders of Israelite families to be judges. They were to settle problems between people who lived in Jerusalem. They were to serve as arbitrators and judges to settle disputes and conflicts. The king commanded the “judges,” “You must always serve the Lord completely, and you must fear him.” The king also commanded the judges, “Watch what you do, because you are not judging for people but for the Lord. He will be with you when you make a decision. Now let each of you fear the Lord. Watch what you do, because the Lord our God wants people to be fair. He wants all people to be treated the same, and he doesn’t want decisions influenced by money.” The king’s commands to the “judges” challenged me. I was challenged and reminded of the need each of us has for a Savior. I like to think that I “fear the Lord,” and I am “fair,” and “treat all people the same,” and I don’t let decisions about people and relationships to be “influenced by money.” But I know me! I can’t faithfully live out my role as a leader, without a Savior. I am prone to fear people and situations instead of fearing the Lord. I often fail to be “fair” and “treat all people the same,” and I have allowed money to influence decisions about people and relationships. I am prone to failure in each of those categories. My “prone” to failure nature is why I need a Savior. I need Jesus to save me and others from me, just as much today as I did 40 years ago when I first walked with Jesus. I need His forgiveness, power, grace, direction, and correction. It is only when His power and life are flowing in me, I can faithfully lead. I bet you have similar feelings and experiences. When you are leading in your strength, things are rough. When you are leading your family, a team at work, a community group or a local sports team, with Jesus’ strength, wisdom and grace flowing through you, leading is different and results are different. Jesus, teach me/us to lead in your power, life and strength. Remind me regularly – “Don’t do life alone, do it with ME!”

No comments:

Post a Comment