Search This Blog

Monday, May 9, 2022

The Goodness of God

We’ve been singing a newer song for a few months called, “Goodness of God.” Almost every time one of the worship leaders sings this song, I have a hard time not tearing up. I don’t know why but it makes me remember a weekend when I was 10ish years old. I had this overwhelming urge to go to “Mass” at the Catholic church my family attended. It was a mile from my house and up a hill. Sunday morning, I got up, got my church clothes on, and rode one of the “sting-ray” bikes to church. I entered the sanctuary and went right up to the front row of pews and took my place. I can still remember what today I know was God around me. My life wasn’t profoundly changed that morning. I didn’t see or hear angels. But I have looked back over the years to that day and know God was doing something in me. The chorus to the song goes like this: All my life you have been faithful All my life you have been so, so good With every breath that I am able Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God. I can look back to that day, when I first had an awareness of God’s presence and then scan through my life and see God’s work. God’s faithfulness. God’s goodness. There have been high mountains and deep valleys. There have been times of greatest joy and moments of profound sorrow. I can look back and see the goodness and faithfulness of God. His goodness was there, in every part of my journey and the journey of those I’ve walked with. King David spoke truth when he wrote, “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I SHALL DWELL IN THE HOUSE OF THE LORD FOREVER.” Psalms 23:6 (ESV) The Apostle Paul found strength in this truth: “This light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison.” 2 Corinthians 4:17 (ESV) One more line from the song. “Goodness of God” grabs my heart, “Your goodness is running after, it’s running after me! Jesus, thank you for running after me for more than 50 years! You’ve been so, so, so, very GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment