Search This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2022

A Time For Compassion And Prayer

By now, you are aware of the historic ruling by the Supreme Court overturning the 50-year-old Roe vs. Wade law that legalized abortion. The justices split 6-3 on the ruling. Like many of you, I’m gratified with the decision. I’ve prayed to end abortion. I’ve given money, signed petitions and supported the work of the local Pregnancy Care Center. I believe the Author of life is the only one who can determine when life should end. My conviction is not only about abortion but “end of life” decisions and capital punishment. I believe it is naïve to think that people on the “Right to Choose” side of the issue have evil intent. I believe most are concerned about women who find themselves in a kaleidoscope of issues when they discover they are pregnant. The issues can be overwhelming. I disagree with their conclusion about the best course of action to help women. I refuse to take a gloating posture at the court’s ruling. I will not brag about winning or taunt others as having lost. The court’s ruling will have a significant ripple effect on American culture. It will further alienate parties. Families will fracture over the issue. On the last day that Jesus entered Jerusalem, he stopped at a spot overlooking the city. As he looked over the city he prayed and wept. “As he came closer to Jerusalem and saw the city ahead, he began to weep. “How I wish today that you of all people would understand the way to peace. But now it is too late, and peace is hidden from your eyes.” Luke 19:41–42 (NLT) Jesus’ response to the condition of the world was compassion and prayer. I believe that is the correct attitude and response of Jesus’ followers, who are “keeping in step with the Spirit.” “Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives. Let us not become conceited, or provoke one another, or be jealous of one another.” Galatians 5:25–26 (NLT) The needs of humanity require every follower to respond in compassion and prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment