Search This Blog

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Worry - Fear

Almost 30 years ago, on Barbara’s and my wedding day, my Dad, in his early 50’s at the time, gave me some sage advice that I have always remembered and tried to apply to life. (My dad and mom had nine children. By the time I married, five older siblings had already married; so dad and mom had been through this event in life before!)

Barbara and I were getting ready to leave the church when my dad told me, “Most of the things in life I’ve spent time worrying about have never happened. Don’t waste your time worrying.”

I have to say that, at the time, I didn’t really understand what he was referring to or talking about. Now I am just a few years younger than my Dad was when Barbara and I got married, and I have a much better understanding of what he was trying to tell me.

I have to admit that I’ve spent my fair share of time worrying about things - family, financial, church relationships, church finances – just to name a few.

My Dad was right. Most of the things I’ve worried about have never happened. I’ve spent time and energy worrying when I should have trusted more. I spent time worrying about things that I had no control over. I spent energy worrying about things that I had very little ability to impact the outcome.

Jesus said: I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. (Matthew 6:25 NLT)

And: Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (Matthew 6:34 NIV)

Paul wrote: Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. (Philippians 4:6 NLT)

Peter wrote: Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about you. (1 Peter 5:7 NLT)

‘For tomorrow will worry about itself.’

Lord, teach me not to worry but instead teach me to trust. I give you my worries and my cares. Thank you that you care about me! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment