Search This Blog

Friday, February 5, 2010

Devotional Practices aren't the measure

Churches regularly emphasize ‘devotional practices’ such as Bible reading, prayer, fasting, meditation, etc. To some it could seem that those are the most important parts of what a person can do as a Christian. Over time it is easy to believe that the sign of spiritual growth or maturity is Bible reading or giving or prayer or fasting or any number of ‘devotional practices.’ A person’s commitment is then gauged by some of these items. Evaluating ourselves and gauging our devotional practices is not a bad thing, but it might be the wrong aspect to calculate.

Devotional practices are not the measure of what God is doing in a person’s life. The Pharisees were experts at ‘devotional practices.’ In Jesus’ story in which the heart attitudes of the Pharisee and the tax collector were described, the Pharisee prayed, “God, I thank you that I am not like other men … I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.” This Pharisee was an expert in doing his devotional practices.

I am all for devotional practices. I am ‘religious’ about some of them but, they are the means to me growing and being transformed and not the final point. They are routines which God uses so that Christ will be formed in me. These devotional practices are part of my relationship and communication with Jesus. In the same way that there are certain routines and practices I have that communicate my love and devotion to Barbara.

In the area of ‘Christ being formed in us’ that we’ve been talking about, devotional practices are part of what God uses to form the nature of Christ in us. They are the tools. They are the means and not the end.

Sometimes the question is asked: Did I read my Bible? Good question, but maybe not the best question.

What if the question was: Am I growing more or less easily irritated these days? or, Am I growing more or less easily discouraged these days?

Those might be better questions because they would be the indicator of what is really happening in our spiritual life. They might be the indicator of whether Christ is being formed in us. There are lots of people who fast, read, pray, sing, etc. who are not becoming more Christ-like. The reading, praying, fasting, giving, etc. has become an end. Sadly, it has become the reason and the purpose.

Father, develop Christ in us!

No comments:

Post a Comment