Search This Blog

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Judging and Criticism

As I have been considering the reality of spiritual formation in my own life (‘Christ being formed in me’), I have been reading The Imitation of Christ, written by Thomas A. Kempis almost 600 years ago. In Book 1, Chapter 14 he wrote: “Watch over yourself and take care not to judge the actions of other people. We gain nothing from criticizing others, but often are mistaken and thereby offend God.”

One line in this section has gripped my heart: “We gain nothing from criticizing others.” How often in my life I have criticized or even allowed a critical attitude to arise. I have done so with no thought about its effect on me. I know that it has not very often been beneficial to others, but when I think, ‘I gain nothing from criticizing’ it changes my outlook on criticism.

Does anyone benefit from ‘criticism’?
Can I think of even one time that being critical has helped someone else?
Can I think of one time that being critical has served any beneficial purpose in my life?

There are, of course, times when words of correction, suggestion, and oversight are needed. As a parent it is necessary to correct, suggest and give oversight. As an employer there are times that correction, suggestion and oversight are necessary. There is a difference between correcting, suggesting, oversight and being critical. Critical comes from a negative outlook rather than a positive outlook. Critical is an attitude of superiority, not an honest attitude of trying to help. Critical is about ‘beating down’ instead of ‘building up.’

The Apostle Paul wrote: Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. (Ephesians 4:29 NIV)

Talk comes out of attitude. The only way to have ‘wholesome talk’ is to have ‘wholesome attitudes.’ Critical, unwholesome attitudes will create critical, unwholesome talk.

Jesus, change me so that I have wholesome attitudes and wholesome words. Teach me to build up and not beat down. I gain nothing by criticizing and neither does anyone else. Teach me and change me. Christ form yourself in me!

No comments:

Post a Comment