Search This Blog

Friday, April 26, 2013

Image Management and Humility

Over the last few weeks I’ve heard multiple references in the news, on websites, blogs and podcasts to the concept of ‘image management’. Most of the references have been about people managing their image so as to control or even manipulate what someone thinks about them. Image management is partially about teaching someone to put their best foot forward and helping them make a good ‘first impression’. So in many ways, image management is a good thing.

There are other ways though in which ‘image management’ is contrary to the teaching of the Word of God. The Old Testament writers and the early followers of Jesus had a fair amount to say about ‘image management’, though they didn’t use those exact words.

One of the highest valued traits in the Word of God is humility. It is so important that God says He detests pride.

Solomon wrote: There are six things the LORD hates—no, seven things He detests: haughty eyes …(Proverbs 6:16-17 NLT)

The Apostle Peter wrote about it this way: All of you, serve each other in humility, for “God opposes the proud but favors the humble." (1 Peter 5:5 NLT)

Pride is often the root of ‘image management’. I want people to think ‘higher’ of me or ‘better’ of me than they actually should. So I put on a front. I put on a façade. I put on an ‘image’, because I don’t really want people to know the real me. If they knew the real me, they might not like me and they surely wouldn’t think as highly of me as I want them to.

Humility is actually the opposite of ‘image management’. One of the first definitions I heard of humility was ‘being known for who you are.’ To say it another way: humility is ‘being known as you really are.’

That doesn’t sound like ‘image management’. Humility is letting people see you – the good, the bad and the ugly.

Stick to being known for who you really are – then people are loving you and not an image that’s been managed.

No comments:

Post a Comment