Search This Blog

Friday, May 17, 2013

If this could become part of my fabric

I have been reading through the letter from the Apostle Paul to the Colossians. I have been reading it very slowly taking in as much as I can. There is so much rich ‘soul’ food in the letter. Over the last week, I have been reading again and again three verses. I thought so many times that if these truths could be woven into the fabric of my inner life it would have such a huge and lasting impact on the lives of those I come into contact with. Here’s what Paul wrote:

Since God chose you to be the holy people He loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Make allowance for each other's faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. (Colossians 3:12-14 NLT)

God chose me to be a holy person that He loves … therefore I MUST clothe myself with mercy … and not just mercy but tenderhearted mercy… I MUST clothe myself with kindness, humility, gentleness and patience … that is not the normal way of the American male! I am to make allowance for each person’s faults that I come into contact with. Not just make allowance for my family or my friends or people who I can get something from … but for EACH person’s faults. Make allowance … don’t make a big deal out of it … let it go … and if someone intentionally offends me, I am to forgive!

I must keep in the forefront of my life … written on the windshield and on the rearview mirror … that the Lord forgave me and forgave me and forgave me and forgives me and will forgive me and because of that I MUST forgive others.

The inner layers of clothing are to be tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. My outer coat is to be LOVE … real love binds people together … their lives working and flowing together are like perfect harmony in the symphony of life that God is playing out through us.

Can you see how if this were flowing out of every part of me that those around me would be better off? Chewing and chewing on these verses is feeding my soul and making me more and more aware of what Jesus is trying to do in me, so that it comes out of me.

Maybe these thoughts will encourage you!

No comments:

Post a Comment