Search This Blog

Monday, May 25, 2020

Loving Our Neighbors

I have been thinking about how you and I can love our neighbors during the crisis moment. It is important to love your neighbor not primarily because they need to be loved but because Jesus said the second commandment is “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Jesus taught that the second commandment to “Love your neighbor” is equal to the commandment to “Love God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength.”

If I’m mostly “staying home and staying safe,” HOW do I love my neighbor? (Your neighbor might be people who live around you, but your neighbor is also the cashier at the store, the barista at the coffee stand, the person you pass on the street or trail when you are walking, the cleaner that used to visit your house, the landscapers who care for your yard, the UPS delivery person, etc.)

Pray. What if you are the only one who is praying for your neighbor?

Be kind. Everyone you encounter is experiencing stress in unprecedented ways.

Greet and Talk. When you pass someone on the road or trail, greet them and talk to them – DO IT.

I regularly run similar routes. I regularly encounter an elderly widow woman I’ve known for years on my runs and I stop and take time to talk with her and often pray with and for her. Two years ago, she commented on my bright yellow running jacket, so I bought her a jacket and took it to her home. The jacket was the wrong size, so I returned it and got her a larger size. I often bump into her wearing the jacket. This woman is not a church person, but I’m determined to love on her and hopefully to love her to faith.

Ask Jesus to guide you and show you opportunities to love your neighbor. Then listen and, when prompted by the Spirit, act on that prompt.

You’ll be surprised how Jesus wants to use you to love people.

No comments:

Post a Comment