Search This Blog

Saturday, July 4, 2020

Peter's Pep Talk

Pressure continues to bear down upon humanity. The complications of the COVID-19 virus would be pressure enough to raise everyone’s stress level more than a few notches. Throw in financial hardship, unemployment, loss of businesses, questions about school in the fall, and travel restrictions, protests, locusts, conflicts in China, Hong Kong, India, Ethiopia, Yemen, North Korea, Libya,– I think I’ll stop there! You get the idea.

You know stress and pressure, but now that I’ve written out some issues facing the world, it probably raised your anxiety level even higher! It is easy to lose sight of fundamentals of following Jesus when pressure is bearing down. I’m reminded of a “pep talk” the Apostle Peter gave to believers he was responsible to care for, lead and coach. He wrote during a trying period in the Roman Empire, and just prior to his execution:

“Turn away from evil and do good. Search for peace, and work to maintain it. The eyes of the LORD watch over those who do right, and his ears are open to their prayers. But the LORD turns his face against those who do evil.” 1 Peter 3:11-12 NLT

I don’t know the application of Peter’s words to your situation, but I’m sure something in his “pep talk” applies. I see three applications for me.

I should be asking, “What does good look like in this situation?”
How can I work to maintain and foster peace?
I should seek to do “right.” (I want the Lord to watch over me and His ears open to my prayers.)

Jesus, help me “do good” “work to maintain peace” and “do right.” I want your watchful gaze on me and your ears open to my prayers. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment