Search This Blog

Monday, October 19, 2020

Quick to Listen - Slow to Speak

A couple of months ago, I wrote about trying to “listen” more. I have been trying to listen to the various sides of the issues that are plaguing society. One reason I’ve been trying to listen is because I know so little. The professor in the first class I took at NWU started his lecture saying: “When you are done with this class, you’ll know how much you don’t know. You might not know much else.” My immediate thought was, “What am I paying all this money for? I’m not here to learn ‘how much I don’t know.’ I’m here to learn, so I know more!” The professor was correct, then and correct now. Every month that passes, I realize how much I don’t know. I realize how much I don’t know about what has occurred in history. I realize how little I know about science, relationships, and communication. I realize how little I know about God and His ways. I must admit I am constantly humbled by my ignorance. I have often said, “there are too many books and too little time!” I recently heard someone describe taking the position of a juror instead of an attorney. The idea struck a cord, and the light went on. Too often I slip into attorney mode and argue my point with vigor. What if instead of slipping into attorney mode, I sat in the jury box and listened to all the facts and both sides before coming to a conclusion? A few years ago, I served on a jury for an assault case. When the prosecution was done with questioning, it was apparent that the assailant was guilty. That is, until the defense was done with their case. The assailant had clearly acted in self-defense and the jury found him innocent. King Solomon put it this way “The first to speak in court sounds right—until the cross-examination begins.” Proverbs 18:17 (NLT) Jesus’ brother James instructed disciples to listen first and speak second. “Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. Human anger does not produce the righteousness God desires.” James 1:19-20 (NLT) I’m striving to sit on the jury more and wear the suit of an accusing and defending attorney less. I confess, I know so little about what is actually going on in the world BUT I do know the one who knows everything about everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment