Search This Blog

Monday, June 7, 2021

Love One Another

At almost every graveside or memorial service I’ve officiated; I spend a few minutes giving my thoughts about “What do I do now?” I hope people will consider what they should do as they walk away. THOUGHT #1 - DEATH IS THE DESTINY OF EVERY PERSON. WE WILL ALL FACE DEATH. THOUGHT #2 - LIVE AS IF TODAY IS YOUR LAST DAY ON EARTH. THOUGHT #3 - ENCOURAGE ONE ANOTHER AS IF YOU’LL NEVER BE ABLE TO ENCOURAGE THEM AGAIN. THOUGHT #4 - PRAY FOR ONE ANOTHER. THOUGHT #5 - LOVE ONE ANOTHER Jesus commanded his followers to “Love one another.” In the early evening before his execution, He told the disciples, gathered for their last meal, “I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.” John 13:34-35 (NLT) Love is a verb. Love is choosing the best for your friends, neighbors and enemies. Love doesn’t mean you always feel good about someone else. Love means you want the best for them. Love is a sacrificial word. Jesus modeled love and then described it. “There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” John 15:13 (NLT) Tell other people you love them. You might not get another opportunity. Don’t waste your last chance. I remember a friend of mine whose son died after a long battle with cancer telling me about a conversation he had with his older brother. His older brother’s son had died instantly, with no warning. My friend’s older brother was jealous because my friend had time to tell his son goodbye and of his love for him. Don’t waste an opportunity. We express love by forgiving each other. You can’t love someone and hold a grudge against them. Forgiving is a sacrificial act of love. The other person doesn’t deserve forgiveness and you sometimes don’t want to give it. Make a choice for their best and your best and forgive them. A principle to live by: You reap what you sow! (Galatians 6:7) Take the time and effort to sow love. You will reap it in return. Love might not always reap love, but hatred almost always reaps hatred. Obey Jesus and, “Love one another!”

No comments:

Post a Comment