Search This Blog

Monday, August 30, 2021

Amazed by Grace

Recently, I read slowly through Galatians, the Apostle Paul’s letter to the church in Galatia. Towards the end of the letter, Paul uses phrases such “Let the Holy Spirit guide your lives” 5:16; “Directed by the Spirit” 5:18; “Living by the Spirit” 5:25; “Follow the Spirit” 5:25; and “Please the Spirit” 6:8. Galatians 5 describes the tension that we live in. We want to please the Spirit, but our sinful nature tempts and pulls at us. Living in the Spirit, following the Spirit, and pleasing the Spirit is life in the tension between sin and grace. Grace frees us from sin and calls us to live in, follow, and please the Spirit. Sin taunts us and pulls at us. Sin “wants to do evil, which is the opposite of what the Spirit wants” and the “two forces are constantly fighting each other” according to Galatians 5:17 Sinclair Ferguson describes the tension this way: “The spiritual life is lived between two polarities: our sin and God’s grace. The discovery of the [sin] brings us to seek the [grace]; the work of the [grace] illuminates the depths of the [sin] and causes us to seek yet more grace.” I’m thankful for grace. I’m thankful that when I sin, grace is available. I’m thankful that when grace illuminates the depths of my sin, it causes me to see yet more grace. Grace “teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright godly lives in this present age.” Titus 2:12 NIV The words of an old hymn are playing in my mind right now; “Grace, grace, God’s grace. Grace that will pardon and cleanse within. Grace, grace, God’s grace, Grace that is greater than all my sin!” Jesus, thank you for grace, I’m still amazed by it!

No comments:

Post a Comment