Search This Blog

Monday, August 30, 2021

My Truth, Your Truth and The Truth

Over the last few years, there has been considerable usage, discussion, and controversy around the terms “My Truth” and “Your Truth.” Oprah Winfrey’s use of the phrase “your truth” in her Golden Globe speech in 2017 moved the phrase from the sidelines and onto the playing field. Traditionally, “truth” has been thought of as a group of shared common facts. Society agreement on common facts is important for cohesion and peaceful living. Common facts were the ideas that correspond with reality and are true. Ideas and facts that don’t correspond with reality are not true. The terms and concepts behind “my truth” and “your truth” are most often used in “philosophical and moral” discussions. People can and do debate and judge philosophical issues, moral viewpoints and positions using my truth, your truth labels. Seldom are the terms used in practical life application. My truth/Your truth shifts the idea into a different arena. An idea, thought, perception, belief I hold, is my truth even if it doesn’t correspond with reality. It is my truth when it corresponds with my reality. It is your truth, but not mine, when it corresponds with your reality. When I pay my mortgage, purchase gas, or stop in to grab some donuts, I don’t argue about my truth and your truth. The businesses and I agree on “reality” for the product or service. I’ve never argued “My truth” tells me “Your truth” about the price of gas is too high. I’m only paying “My truth” for the gas! Here’s $X for the gallon of gas. My truth wouldn’t get me very far when the sheriff showed up for stealing. When I served on a jury for a criminal trial, the judge didn’t instruct the members of the jury to interpret the “victim’s truth” verses the “defense’s truth.” The judge instructed the jury to listen to all the evidence and testimony and then determine guilt or innocence based on the facts. Jesus said: “I am the truth.” John 14:6. Jesus, his life, the way he lived life, his teachings and his relationships reveal a way that corresponds to reality. No one has ever lived, died, risen and impacted the world like Jesus. He is TRUTH. S. Lewis famously said: “I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

No comments:

Post a Comment