Search This Blog

Monday, November 22, 2021

Mold Me and Make Me

One day, the Lord spoke to the prophet Jeremiah, saying; “Go down to the potter’s shop, and I will speak to you there.” Jeremiah 18:2 (NLT) When Jeremiah arrived at the potter’s shop, he found the potter working at his wheel, forming a jar. While he watched the potter working, the jar he was forming didn’t turn out the way he hoped it would. The potter squashed the lump of clay and began again to form a jar. Jeremiah’s visit to the potter’s shop and watching the potter at work illustrated God’s work in the lives of people. The Lord revealed to Jeremiah that He is the potter of Israel. Today, He continues to be the potter of Israel and He is the potter of the followers of Jesus. He is the potter of people’s individual live and corporately the church. I find the picture of God as the potter comforting. Some bristle at the idea that God is a potter, determining what kind of vessel He will make and the vessel's purpose. Who is God to determine people’s lives, future, and usefulness? I see the meticulous attention of the potter to the clay. The potters’ hands, sometimes gently, and other periods, forcefully working the lump of clay. The potter adds water, when necessary, varies the speed and intensity of the wheel and pressure on the clay to form the jar to his liking. The potter’s hands are closely engaged in every part of the process. His hands varying pressure and location on the clay. The master potter spins the wheel at variable rates to create the design of the jar. I am that lump of clay on the potter’s wheel. The wheel is the circumstances, pressures, and process God uses to shape and form me. The potter of my life is at work 24/7. I like His loving and persistent work on this jar. His work isn't always enjoyable, but I cherish it. The Apostle Paul wrote: “The Lord—who is the Spirit—makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image.” 2 Corinthians 3:18 (NLT) The potter is working the clay of my life to make me more and more like Him. When I was a young follower of Jesus, we used to sing a Marantha Music “Change My Heart, Oh God. One verse said: You are the potter I am the clay Mold me and make me This is what I pray This is my prayer, Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment