Search This Blog

Monday, November 1, 2021

Working for the Peace and Prosperity of My City

Centuries before Jesus walked through Israel, the Babylonian army took thousands of Jewish people from Jerusalem and the surrounding region of Judea as captives to Babylon. The captives found themselves living in an unfamiliar culture. The language, food, dress, philosophies, music, and religious practices were all different. They were “strangers” in a “strange place.” The prophet Jeremiah, who was still in Judea, wrote a letter to the captives. The letter was “a word from God" to those strangers in a strange place. God could have used Jeremiah to pen a similar letter to me as a “temporary resident and foreigner.” Jeremiah’s letter has served as a guide for me. I’ve taken it to heart and tried to apply it to my life and leadership. I am a “temporary resident and foreigner.” (1 Peter 2:11 NLT) I’m instructed to “Be careful to live properly among your unbelieving neighbors.” 1 Peter 2:12 (NLT) This is what Jeremiah’s letter said: “This is what the LORD of Heaven’s Armies, the God of Israel, says to all the captives he has exiled to Babylon from Jerusalem: ‘Build homes, and plan to stay. Plant gardens and eat the food they produce. Marry and have children. Then find spouses for them so that you may have many grandchildren. Multiply! Do not dwindle away! And work for the peace and prosperity of the city where I sent you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, for its welfare will determine your welfare.’” Jeremiah 29:3-7 (NLT) One of the most salient parts of the letter for me is “work for the peace and prosperity of the city where I sent you” and “pray to the Lord for it, for its welfare will determine your welfare.” As a “temporary resident and foreigner” to Whidbey Island, I’m directed to work for peace and prosperity and to pray. I want Whidbey Island to prosper. I want Whidbey Island to experience peace. The welfare of Whidbey Island is perpetually in my heart. Applying and obeying God’s directive through Jeremiah is “Loving God” and “Loving my neighbor.” It is likely that many of you are also “temporary residents and foreigners” in the area in which you live. Will you join Jesus and the Holy Spirit and work for “peace and prosperity” and “pray to the Lord” for “the city where He has sent you?”

No comments:

Post a Comment