Search This Blog

Monday, February 28, 2022

The Power of Choice

Recently on a run, I heard someone quote Dr. Tony Evans, a pastor in Texas. Dr. Evans’ statement about freedom and choices resonated in my heart. “Freedom means you get to control the choice, but because God is the sovereign ruler over his creation, you don’t get to control the consequences.” Dr. Tony Evans People make a big deal about freedom. No one likes someone barging in on their freedom. I’m free, I’m free, I’m free! “Free” is the chant heard across humanity. “Don’t tell me what I can and can’t do!” “You’re not my boss!” Free means you can control your choices. You can go where you want, eat what you want, drink what you want, smoke what you want, spend where you want, or say what you want. You are free! Dr. Evans correctly observed, “Freedom means you get to control the choice.” Because freedom is real, the scripture has a lot to say about choices. One of the key verses regarding choices and results is in Paul’s letter to the church in Galatia. “Don’t be misled—you cannot mock the justice of God. You will always harvest what you plant. Those who live only to satisfy their own sinful nature will harvest decay and death from that sinful nature. But those who live to please the Spirit will harvest everlasting life from the Spirit.” Galatians 6:7-8 (NLT) Paul was saying, you can choose whatever you want, but you’ll get what your choices produce. Dr. Evans said it a little differently. You can choose what you want, but “you don’t get to control the consequences.” You can choose to do anything you want, but the results are out of your control. You don’t get to control the consequences! There are few things more true in life. I can say what I want or write what I want, but once the words are out of my mouth, I have lost complete control of them. The only control I have over my words is before I say them or type them. If you are like me, there have been plenty of times in life when I wished I could take back my words. I have wished I could unsay them or untype them. Once they are gone from the cage of my mind, heart, mouth or fingers, they are in the wild. Be careful what you choose. You can’t control the consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment