Search This Blog

Monday, April 11, 2022

Prayer Changes Me

I have been thinking more about the mystery of prayer. As I wrote last week, Jesus said, “Your Heavenly Father knows what you need before you ask,” and then directs us to pray. He knows, yet He tells me to pray. That is head scratching! One thing I’ve learned over the years of praying is that my perspective changes when I pray. The circumstances may not change, but my outlook and attitude experience a transformation. People often describe the change saying praying “lifted a weight from my shoulders,” or when I prayed, “my fear melted away.” King David wrote is Psalms “I prayed to the LORD, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears. Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy; no shadow of shame will darken their faces. Taste and see that the LORD is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him!” Psalms 34:4-8 (NLT) King David doesn’t describe changes in his circumstances or situation. He describes a change of heart. “He freed me from all my fears.” Those who pray “will be radiant with joy; no shadow of shame will darken their faces.” I’ve had instances and episodes where God answered very specific prayers. He has answered prayers for provision, direction, wisdom, comfort, deliverance from troubling circumstances, resolution to broken relationships, and more. I’ve also had times when I’ve “prayed without ceasing.” I’ve prayed while awake and in the middle of the night when I wish I was sleeping. I’ve prayed desperate, almost frantic prayers. I’ve prayed in the quiet of my heart and out loud, LOUDLY! God did not answer some of those prayers the way I had hoped. What will I do? I will pray and “keep on praying and not stop praying!” Prayer might not always change things, but prayer always changes ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment