Search This Blog

Monday, June 8, 2020

Confessing The Sins of America

I have been considering an example from the Jewish Scriptures, when one of the leaders of God’s people confessed the sins of the Jewish people. Daniel had not participated in the sin, but he was part of the people group or nation that perpetuated it.

As a POW in Babylon, Daniel was reading the words of the prophet Jeremiah. As he read, understanding of their situation and the seventy years they were to spend in Babylon broke his heart. Daniel recorded his actions: “So I turned to the Lord God and pleaded with him in prayer and fasting. I also wore rough burlap and sprinkled myself with ashes.” Daniel 9:3 NLT

Daniel had not been part of the sin, rebellion, and disobedience, but he was Jewish, and these were the sins of the Jewish people. Daniel Chapter 9 is the record of Daniel’s repentance and confession of the sins of Israel. Daniel saw it as his responsibility as a member of the Jewish nation to confess the sins of his nation. “I prayed to the LORD my God and confessed: ‘O Lord, you are a great and awesome God! … We have sinned and done wrong. We have rebelled against you and scorned your commands and regulations. We have refused to listen … as you see, our faces are covered with shame. … O LORD, we … are covered with shame because we have sinned against you.’”

Daniel 9:4-11 NLT

I am an American and therefore I am responsible for injustice and need to do my part to bring about justice. I have spent time this week confessing the sins of America. As a nation we have oppressed people and continue to oppress people. We are guilty and we are responsible. I’ve been praying that God will have mercy on America and Americans. I have been praying that God would raise up leaders who can show the way through the racial darkness.

God, have mercy on America and move us forward in racial equality. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment