Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Careless and Useless Words

As a student and teacher of the ancient writings found in the Bible, there are statements in the writings that frighten me. I’m not referring to the historical accounts found in the Jewish Scriptures (the Old Testament) about Sodom and Gomorrah or Lot’s wife turning into a pillar of salt. I’m referring to some of Jesus' words.

Jesus said, “If you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.” (Matthew 6:15 NIV84) The thought that my unforgiveness would prevent my own forgiveness scares me because I have SINS! Or, Jesus said, “Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.” (Matthew 10:28 NIV84) Jesus is encouraging people to not let the “fear of man” control their lives but instead to let the “fear of God” control them.

The teaching of Jesus that terrifies me is about the things a person says. Most of the people Jesus taught communicated only through speech. We communicate in a variety of ways. In the 21st century his teaching applies to every way that we use words; the spoken word, written word, social media posts, shares, and likes. And about our communication Jesus said, “Out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. … I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.” (Matthew 12:34-37 NIV84)

The words that come out of my mouth and from the end of my fingertips, come straight out of what is in my heart and I will be JUDGED by those words. That scares me and sometimes terrifies me!

Jesus, I need continual surgery done on my heart so that my words are not “careless” and useless. Help me! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment