Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Quick To Listen and Slow to Speak

I’ve spent hours listening over the last few weeks. Listening to preachers, politicians, reporters, farmers, athletes, and many others concerning the protests and race issues our country is swimming through. I’ve been looking over my shoulder, both left and right, because I realize I have “blind spots.” I only see what I see, and I only understand what I understand.

By listening, I’ve learned about the “red line,” “Juan Crow Laws,” “In-groups” and “out-groups.” I’ve learned about the difference between bias, racism and discrimination. I am in elementary school about these issues. I’m learning about “espoused theory” and “theory in use.” I’m listening to descriptions of “white girl hair,” and learning that every person is 99.5 percent identical in genetic makeup. I’ve learned that saying “I don’t see color” is divisive, even when said with or from the motive of inclusiveness and love.

Jesus’ brother James wrote: “You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry.” (James 1:19 NLT) Too often when I face trials and struggles, I am quick to speak and too slow to listen. In the struggle our society is facing, I am intentionally closing my mouth, opening my heart and listening intently. I have an incredible amount to learn about the issues we are all facing.

Micah, the prophet who spoke for God 700 years before Jesus said: “He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?” (Micah 6:8 ESV)

What is good? What does the Lord require? Do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with God.

Jesus, teach me. I want to live justly, practice kindness and walk humbly with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment